[U-Boot] u-boot efi

scott.iveland at calix.com scott.iveland at calix.com
Tue Aug 9 20:12:19 CEST 2016

I am trying to use u-boot-efi on a board that has an Intel D-1500 series
processor and 64-bit UEFI ROM.
As per the information in doc/README.efi I built a u-boot-payload.efi
with CONFIG_EFI_STUB_64BIT and installed it onto a USB drive I am
booting with.
The UEFI loads/runs the u-boot but quickly goes into the weeds. I have
very limited debug facilities as this is a 3rd party board.
I was able to track down the failure to the following using calls to
post_code():

lib/efi/efi_stub.c:efi_main()
   lib/efi/efi_stub.c:jump_to_uboot()
     arch/x86/cpu/call32.S:cpu_call32()
       arch/x86/cpu/start.S:start()
         common/init/board_init.c:board_init_f_alloc_reserve() -> fails
upon return.

This is the first "call" instruction after control is transferred to the
start() of the 32-bit u-boot image.
I also tried adding a call to a do-nothing function and the results were
the same (failure upon return).
The CPU goes the weeds and I guess it is in some exception code (no JTAG
debugger available).

This is the first time I have used u-boot in this mode and my first time
working with the x86 architecture.

Thanks,
Scott