[U-Boot] Issue with USB mass storage (thumb drives)

Schrempf Frieder frieder.schrempf at exceet.de
Tue Feb 2 11:35:49 CET 2016

Hello,

I'm using U-Boot on a custom i.MX6 board and I'm having problems while
reading (large) files from USB thumb drives.
I wouldn't really mind if this only happened with some specific USB
device, but the problem occurs with 3 out of 4 tested thumb drives while
The devices that work seem to be rather old ones.

The same issue is also reported here:
https://community.freescale.com/thread/377911

I can reproduce this behaviour with u-boot-imx v2014.04 and with
mainline u-boot v2015.10 and v2016.01.

Can someone tell me if this is a known issue?
What could be the reason for this and how can I get this working?

Thanks!

U-Boot 2016.01 (Feb 02 2016 - 10:31:32 +0100)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX6SOLO rev1.3 at 792MHz
CPU:   Industrial temperature grade (-40C to 105C) at 31C
Reset cause: POR
Board: MX6EXCEET
DRAM:  1 GiB
NAND:  256 MiB
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1
SF: Detected EN25Q80 with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 4 KiB, total 1 MiB
No panel detected: default to Hannstar-XGA
Display: Hannstar-XGA (1024x768)
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   Found Micrel KS8051/KS8081 PHY
FEC
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
=> usb start
starting USB...
USB0:   Port not available.
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 1 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
        scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
        scanning usb for ethernet devices... 0 Ethernet Device(s) found
=> fatload usb 0 0x18000000 test.file
reading test.file
EHCI timed out on TD - token=0xac008d80
EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008d80