[U-Boot] Include patchwork patch ID in commit message?

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Thu Jan 28 07:39:54 CET 2016

Hello Tom,

Am 28.01.2016 um 00:45 schrieb Tom Rini:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 05:15:17PM -0600, Joe Hershberger wrote:

>>> I'd prfer Patchwork or Patchwork-ID or something not just Patch.
>>
>> Would it be more or less compelling if it had a format similar this?
>>
>> Patchwork: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/571773/
>
> Yes.

Sorry, for dummy question ... what should I see in the above link?

>>> Well, I'm not a super fan of it.  For your second point, this is why I
>>> use bundles, mutt and a macro.  For the other points, at least I find
>>> google does a good job pulling up the right patch at least.
>>
>> Bundles seem awkward. Perhaps I'm just not using them effectively.
>> What benefit do they give you? How are they part of your workflow?
>
> OK, I'm going to delete this in a few days but here's my bundle for the
> last import I did:
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/bundle/trini/2016-01-25-master-imports/
> My flow is:
> 1) Assign all unassigned patches
> 2) Open my todo list in patchwork
> 3) Create a bundle with all of the patches I want based on my critera at
> the time.
> 4) Download bundle as mbox, git am -3 it, get big build going.
> 5) Open each patch link, check for Nak/Changed/Uncertanty that I missed
> at first
> 6) Assuming no repeats of part 4 of the cycle, mutt -f the bundle, for
> each email group reply, run macro to insert applied message, postponed
> 7) Check output from big build, assuming good results, push and spam out
> all of my queued messages.

Out of topic .... maybe tbot can help you here a lot. I have an automated
build for example for the smartweb board [1], which does:

+      - clone u-boot.git
+      - set toolchain
+      - get a list of patchwork patches from my U-Boots ToDo list
+      - download all of them, and check them with checkpatch
+        and apply them to u-boot.git
+      - compile U-Boot for the smartweb board
+      - install the resulting images on the smartweb board
+      - boot U-boot
+      - test DFU
+      - more TC should be added here for testing U-Boot

added to this list in the meantime some ported DUTS tests now,
last build see:
http://xeidos.ddns.net/buildbot/builders/smartweb_dfu/builds/48/steps/shell/logs/tbotlog
(currently I have 3 boards doing such tests periodically)

So, if you have a well-kept ToDo list in patchwork, this testcase
does a lot automatically (incl. execute testcases on board(s)) ...
You have only to look in the morning on for example a webpage
if all tests are "green" [2] ...

Then you can be sure, all patches in your ToDo list are checkpatch
clena, apply without errors to current master, compile clean and do not
break the boards you test u-boot ... (at last the testcases you run on
it).

Ok, I did not tried it with bundles, but it should also be possible to
download all patches you have in a bundle ... simple add a testcase
for downloading patches in a bundle only ...

Also an idea could be, to send an automated EMail if checkpatch
drops warnings/errors or if "git am" fails" ... but I do not really
know, if this would be a good idea ...

Also with the idea of tbot, you do not really need the hw at the place
where tbot runs ... for my example I run tbot on a raspberry pi in
Letkes/hungary, the boards are in munich/germany. So it is possible,
to test on boards, which other people have somewhere and give you
access to them ...

bye,
Heiko
[1] http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2016-January/243248.html
search there for:
"automated Testsetup with buildbot and tbot doing cyclic tests"

[2] http://xeidos.ddns.net/buildbot/tgrid