[U-Boot] reboot freeze due to wachdog

Arthur LAMBERT lambertarthur22 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:02:29 CET 2016

I have an issue with reboot on a imx6ul board + the watchdog hardware from uboot.
Most of the times the reboot freeze. Not all the time. I already post the issue
on freescale community. But uboot from freescale does not use the hardware
watchdog. That's why they ask me to post my issue here..

logs of the issue :

reboot
imx2-wdt 20bc000.wdog: Unexpected close: Expect reboot!
ALSA: Storing mixer settings...
Stopping network...Saving random seed... done.
Stopping dropbear sshd: OK
Stopping system message bus: done
Stopping logging: OK
OK
OK
umount: devtmpfs busy - remounted read-only
The system is going down NOW!
Sent SIGTERM to all processes
Sent SIGKILL to all    processes
Requesting system reboot
imx2-wdt 20bc000.wdog: Device shutdown: Expect reboot!
reboot: Restarting system
mxc_restart: Watchdog reset failed to assert reset

I am using the hardware watchdog in uboot like this :

#define CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG
#define CONFIG_IMX_WATCHDOG
#define CONFIG_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_MSECS 20000 // 20s

In the board late init :

#ifdef CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG
       hw_watchdog_init();
#endif

I have of course a piece of code to feed the watchdog every 5 seconds.
The reboot was working perfectly before enabling the watchdog feature on the uboot.
Any reason that the hardware watchdog broke the reboot feature ?

I found a similar issue : https://community.nxp.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.variscite.com%2Fsupport-forum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D282
By checking their patch on the kernel, I was not able to find a solution for me.
They just remove a wdog node in their device tree. Do I need to add something
to my device tree ?

Thanks,
Arthur.