[U-Boot] [RFC] Rearrange CONFIG_* macros

Scott Wood oss at buserror.net
Mon Oct 3 18:35:45 CEST 2016

On Fri, 2016-09-30 at 22:24 -0400, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 04:20:10AM +0000, york sun wrote:
> >
> > On 09/29/2016 08:59 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > >

> > >   If X86 and FSL are the only platforms that have interest in this
> > > option,
> > >   we can save HAVE_... and put them directly in "depends on".
> > >
> > >     config MAX_CPUS
> > >          int "Maximum number of CPUs permitted"
> > >          depends on (SMP && X86) || VENDOR_FSL
> > >
> > >   I am not quite sure about "VENDOR_FSL",
> > >    so please choose your favorite one like
> > >   SOC_FSL, PLAT_FSL, ARCH_FSL, or whatever.
> > This sounds like a bandage. I can go with this if there is no better
> > solution.
> If MAX_CPUS has the same meaning in both cases, this isn't imho a
> bandage but one of the cleanups that was hoped for in moving to Kconfig.
> We see that a problem is encountered in more than one area more easily
> and instead of letting N solutions accumulate we get one.

It's the depends line that looks like a bandage -- can't it just be "depends
on SMP", and if there are any SMP platforms that can't be immediately
converted to use this (e.g. the non-CONFIG MAX_CPUS define in
arch/arm/cpu/armv7/mx6/mp.c should be pretty easily convertible), add a TODO
note in the help text indicating that?

-Scott