[U-Boot] U-boot bad block table

Rumsey, Carl A. (GSFC-408.0)[SGT INC] carl.a.rumsey at nasa.gov
Mon Sep 12 23:05:29 CEST 2016

I have recently been working with u-boot v2016.07 for microblaze architecture and have a couple questions regarding the bad block table generation for a nand flash system. Please note our system is functioning correctly and this post is more to determine exactly what is happening during u-boots scan of the OOB region. We have run multiple pieces of software to determine the bad blocks within our 32GB (8x4GB) nand flash. U-boot catches all of the known bad blocks plus we are finding extras as shown below. Note in below example device 0 had 0 bad blocks.  Im assuming the bad blocks it did report are simply reserved. My question is other than storing the bad block table what more do we reserve blocks for with u-boot?

Device 0 bad blocks:
  1ff80000
  1ffa0000
  1ffc0000