[U-Boot] orangepi_pc2: Build error

Andre Przywara andre.przywara at arm.com
Tue Apr 25 10:12:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 24/04/17 07:54, Jagan Teki wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 5:01 AM, André Przywara <andre.przywara at arm.com> wrote:
>> On 07/04/17 06:10, Jagan Teki wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jagan,
>>
>>> Can you check this error on master?
>>>
>>>   COPY    spl/u-boot-spl.bin
>>>   MKSUNXI spl/sunxi-spl.bin
>>> ERROR: File too large!
>>> make[1]: *** [spl/sunxi-spl.bin] Error 1
>>> make: *** [spl/u-boot-spl] Error 2
>>
>> Yeah, this is unfortunately a known issue with older compilers. I
>> believe GCC 5.x and 6.x are fine, but 4.9.x generates too large code to
>> fit in the 32KB.
>> Can you state your compiler version?
>> I believe both the distributions and Linaro should offer up-to-date
>> (cross-)compilers these days.
>
> We usually use buildman setup, so the compiler version is 4.9.0
> ~/.buildman-toolchains/gcc-4.9.0-nolibc/
>
> So, can you maintain/resize orangepi_pc2 wrt 4.9.0 ?

4.9.0 apparently had it's 3rd birthday last weekend ;-)
Also there are quite some bugfix releases meanwhile (4.9.4 being the
latest). And given that arm64 is a rather young architecture, a three
years old compiler is probably bad in many other ways.

So I won't invest much time in getting this particular compiler to work,
but instead rather push kernel.org to update their cross compilers. I am
about to test build GCC 6.3.0 based on the buildall script they use.

I see that there is ongoing effort to get code size down, maybe that
helps here as well, without upgrading compilers.

If you have a particular build test setup, is there any chance you can
try to install a newer compiler there? Linaro offers up-to-date compiler
packages, also distributions offer packaged cross-compilers for arm64
these days.

Cheers,
Andre.