[U-Boot] distro boot on ls2085ardb

york sun york.sun at nxp.com
Wed Feb 8 23:06:10 UTC 2017

On 02/08/2017 02:55 PM, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> All,
>
> The patch Alex submitted to enable distro boot on ls2085ardb sets
> up a default bootcmd that looks like this:
>
>       bootcmd=run mcinitcmd && fsl_mc lazyapply dpl 0x580700000 &&
>               cp.b $kernel_start $kernel_load $kernel_size &&
>               bootm $kernel_load || run distro_bootcmd
>
> Was there any particular reason to attempt the NOR flash boot
> first?  (Just backwards compatibility?)  That "cp.b" takes a full
> 30 seconds and seems potentially unnecessary.  I thought the board
> was hung.
>
> We want to support distro boot on all NXP LS* boards, and I'm wondering
> if it's better to just make running distro_bootcmd the default, and
> then fall back to NOR flash boot if distro boot fails.
>
>       bootcmd=run mcinitcmd && fsl_mc lazyapply dpl 0x580700000 &&
>               run distro_bootcmd ||
>               cp.b $kernel_start $kernel_load $kernel_size &&
>               bootm $kernel_load
>
> Thoughts?

It was for backward compatibility. Even I have pointed out numerous
times (internally) that cp.b should not be used for this case, and even
pointed out how to make a FIT image with load address, the board
maintainer(s) didn't act. One change I can propose is to drop the "cp.b
$kernel_start $kernel_load $kernel_size" and run "bootm $kernel_start"
directly. If it fails, then falls to distro_bootcmd.

York