[U-Boot] patman and non-ascii names

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 10:33:22 CET 2017

Hi All,

Just ran into an issue with patman. It's picking up David Müller as a
cc recipient. But seems to barf because of the non-ascii characters in
his name

  File "./tools/patman/patman", line 159, in <module>
    options.add_maintainers)
  File "./tools/patman/series.py", line 238, in MakeCcFile
    print(cover_fname, ', '.join(set(cover_cc + all_ccs)), file=fd)
  UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
8: ordinal not in range(128)

When I exclude the patch that David's picked as a Cc there is no problem.

Any suggestions. I assume something involving .decode('utf-8') is required.

Thanks,
Chris