[U-Boot] passing info from SPL to U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 12 13:42:02 UTC 2019

Dear Tom,

In message <20190312121957.GI4690 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> > Yes, doable ... but the question is more, do we really want to read
> > such infos twice, instead reading them in SPL and passing them from
> > SPL to U-Boot ?
>
> Probably so, yes.  Since we're talking about SPL and a "lots of
> features, medium sized SRAM" SoC where we've had to carefully tweak
> configs before to get all desired features within the limits.  If you've
> bled into SRAM_SCRATCH_SPACE_ADDR range you may run into other problems
> too.

I think you misunderstand.

Heiko is not asking for any new data,  We are already using the
struct global_data in SPL.  And actually this is also where Simon
added the pointers for the bloblist and the spl_handoff data.

The question is - why do we actually _need_ this spl_handoff, why
don;t we just make sure the global_data is passed from SPL (to TPL
and from there) to U-oot proper?

We already have reserved this memory, we already have all needed
information, so why not just passing this on instead of throwing it
away?

this will not grow data size, and it will not require any additional
code size compared to the spl_handoff stuff, which then would be no
longer needed (if I understnad the code correctly).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was  that,
lacking  zero,  they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs."                                     - Robert Firth