[U-Boot] Cavium/Marvell Octeon Support

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Oct 30 22:05:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 03:50:00AM +0000, Aaron Williams wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been tasked with porting our Octeon U-Boot to the latest U-Boot
> and merging it upstream.
[snip]

I want to jump back up back to the top of this thread.  And first I want
to say that I am glad that there is official desire to upstream support.
This is good.  My concern is that the plan seems to be, at a very high
level, "get everything we have for every feature upstream".  But as been
said elsewhere this would roughly double the total LOC for the project,
and it's not like we're a new project with a small handful of things :)
It's impossible for the community to review that much code in any
meaningful way over anything less than a period of several years.  I
know you've said that to support various customer use cases you need all
sorts of other things, and while I'm certain that's true, I believe the
plan needs to be to step back and pick the smallest possible testable
unit, and upstream it.  And add to it, small pieces at a time.  Thanks!

--
Tom