Sections .dynamic and .dynsym in UEFI binaries

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Sat Aug 29 10:31:23 CEST 2020

Hello Simon,

with commit c7ae3dfdccc1 ("efi: Add support for a hello world test
program") you added section .dynamic and .dynsym to generated UEFI binaries.

It is unclear to me why those sections should be needed. According to
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/819-0690/chapter6-42444.html
section .dynamic is only used for dynamic linking.

On RISC-V inclusion of .dynsym leeds to a file that is longer then the
value of SizeOfImage in the optional header.

On x86 and x86_64 we have a general problem that SizeOfImage does not
match the actual file size.

Best regards

Heinrich