fat: handle Windows formatted partition (thru USB Mass Storage)

Andy Shevchenko andy.shevchenko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 10:47:03 CET 2020

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 8:13 AM AKASHI Takahiro
<takahiro.akashi at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:31:49PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

> > Prerequisites:
> >  - the board with U-Boot and installed Linux OS on eMMC
> >  - g_multi module in Linux OS that shares *one of the eMMC partitions*
> > (pay attention here) as a disk to Windows host
>
> I also misunderstood your assumption above; You are developing
> a linux-based USB gadget for Windows (10)?

No.

> > Now, when you format that exposed disk (which is actually a partition
> > on eMMC!) in Windows, you will get nested partitioning.
>
> So why do you want to access *that* partition from U-Boot on the board?
> I don't think it is a common case.

What I'm trying to do is to copy some bootables to that partition from
Windows machine in order to boot them via U-Boot.
That's allow me not to disturb stock image on that board.

If U-Boot is not going to support nested partitioning, perhaps I can
submit a documentation fix to advertise this explicitly.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko