[RFC 0/2] Do not stop with an error when mkimage fails

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 4 20:12:41 CET 2021

Dear Heiko,

In message <20211104185231.2927-1-heiko.thiery at gmail.com> you wrote:
> While converting to binman for an imx8mq board, it has been found that
> building in the u-boot CI fails. This is because an imx8mq requires an
> external binary (signed_hdmi_imx8m.bin). If this file cannot be found
> mkimage fails. To work around the problem the exception is caught, an
> error message is printed and binman continues.

But how can you continue, when mkimage fails and cannot generate the
needed image?

In your patch 2/2 we have this:

+            tools.Run('mkimage', '-d', input_fname, *self._args, output_fname)
+        except Exception as e:
+            tout.Error("mkimage failed: %s" % e)
+
         self.SetContents(tools.ReadFile(output_fname))

mkimage is supposed to create an output file which name is in
output_fname; if mkimage fails and you continue, the next step is
tools.ReadFile(output_fname) trying to read that file.  How is this
possible?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"One day," said a dull voice from down below, "I'm going to  be  back
in  form again and you're going to be very sorry you said that. For a
very long time. I might even go so far as to make even more Time just
for you to be sorry in."              - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_