[ELDK] Starting SELF image from scratch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 29 11:49:15 CEST 2008

In message <1217289228.20704.21.camel at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:
> I think I am being unclear. I understand how to build the actual JFFS2
> and Ramdisk images. My question is how do I take ELDK target RPMS and
> "install" them into this new JFFS2 file system image? Is there a way to
> do this with the ELDK RPM system? I can't seem to find any documentation
> on how to do this.

Usually you don't want to install RPM's, but only the files you really
need in your embedded root file system.

RPM comes at a pretty high cost in  terms  of  libraries  needed  and
databases it creates. This adds a lot of memory footprint for - well,
for  what  exactly?  On  the  target,  you usually don't even want to
install the full RPMs (which usually include stuff  like  man  pages,
info pages, documentation under /usr/share/doc, etc.).

So the first question you have to answer is: do you really, really
need package management on the target at all? Usually you dont.

And if you do, is it RPM?  Usually  it  isn;t.  Busybox  for  example
includes  dpkg  support,  which  is much leaner. If you really want a
packaged based target root file system, you can for example repackage
the needed files (omitting all the stuff not relevant for an embedded
system) using this.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs."
- H. L. Mencken