[ELDK] ELDK 4.1

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jun 6 00:05:48 CEST 2008

Dear David,

in message <F806D4F79D38BB4DAB983A1A384986710102C443 at exus.u4eatechinc.com> you wrote:

> In the press release I found this:
> " Firmware that can easily be ported to new boards and processors."
>
> Exactly what I need to do.

Hm... I think you might have a different understanding of the
definition of the term "firmware".

When we speak about firmware, we mean especially the U-Boot boot
loader which indeed can be easilyported to new boards and platforms.
Please see http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot for a starting point.

I feel your definition includes more, i. e.  you  probably  mean  the
whole  software  package  that  is  running  on  some embedded target
system. We normally call this the "root file system". Is  my  feeling
right?

> Is there a guide available about how to go about adding support for a new
> mips target hardware platform to eldk? I have a mips target and am having trouble
> navigating this Denx distribution trying to figure out exactly where the hooks are
> to add target-specific platform code.

I'm afraid I lost you here. I don;t understand what exactly  you  are
asking  for. If you have some new hardware and are looking what needs
to be done to port a boot loader (i. e. U-Boot)  and  an  OS  (i.  e.
Linux) to that board, then this question is a bit beyond the scope of
this mailing list. For this, you should read the U-Boot and Linux re-
lated  documentation and, as soon as you have specific questions, ask
these  on  the  respective  mailing  lists  (the   u-boot-users   and
linux-mips lists come to mind).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"May your future be limited only by your dreams."
- Christa McAuliffe