[ELDK] Read-only root filesystem, devices and root access

Giuseppe Modugno g.modugno at elettronika.it
Tue Jun 24 13:02:52 CEST 2008

On 24 Jun 2008 at 10:37, Giuseppe Modugno wrote:
> In order to solve the problem of ptys (I'd like to use telnet) I made
> symbolic links
>   /dev/ptyp0 ---> /tmpfs/dev/ptyp0
>   /dev/ptyp1 ---> /tmpfs/dev/ptyp1
>   /dev/ttyp0 ---> /tmpfs/dev/ttyp0
>   /dev/ttyp1 ---> /tmpfs/dev/ttyp1
> Of course, /tmpfs is a read-write tmpfs filesystem I populate in
> rc.sh.
[CUT]

Oh, I'm sorry. I was working with /dev/ttyp0 as a real device file
and not a symbolic link to /tmpfs/dev/ttyp0.
Now I corrected this and root login by telnet isn't working anymore,
neither on first attempt nor on the second attempt.

So I think symbolic links can't be written in /etc/securetty. In my
case I must write
   /tmpfs/dev/ttyp0
   /tmpfs/dev/ttyp1
that is very bad.

The best way is to login as a normal user and change to root by su
command (I know, definitevely the best is ssh).

By the way, I noticed SELF package contains busybox without su
support. Is that correct? Why?

Thanks to all.