[ELDK] EDLK and Xenomai

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Mar 31 17:06:56 CEST 2008

Hi Breno,

[I forgot the list on my previous post, so excuse the duplicate].

> Dear Detlev,
>  I saw your document on
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/AN2008_03_XenomaiOnAMCC440GX
>
> and I got interesting on using Denx ELDK to embed it on PowerPC running on
> ICECUBE evl. board. I wanna also use it along with Xenomai support. In
> this document you said that the ELDK contains a Xenomai-enable kernel. I
> wonder know what exactly it means? Does it means that Xenomai patch is
> already in the kernel available on ELDK iso files? What about RT_PREEMPT
> patch, is it also already patched on kernel?

It means that we have a xenomai rpm in the ELDK which on installation
patches the provided Linux kernel with the Adeos I-Pipe patch.  Inside
the 4.2 ELDK NFS Root (usually /opt/eldk), there will be a
{arch}/usr/src/linux-2.6.24 and a {arch}/usr/src/linux-2.6.24-xenomai.
As shown in the appnote, the xenomai rpm will install its userspace
parts below usr/local/xenomai.

The RT_PREEMPT patch is *not* included with the kernels in our ELDK.

> In case of not, what exactly should I do on ELDK files to get Xenomai and
> RT_PREEMPT patch on my kernel?

It is only recently that you can use Xenomai userspace without the
Xenomai Adeos-I-Pipe patch using a RT_PREEMPT or even a plain Linux
kernel.  For this you will need the (extremely young) Xenomai SOLO[1]
project.  You can find this on our web-page.

For the RT_PREEMPT patch, you will have to consult the relevant
literature, e.g. try with the OSADL docs[2].  But be aware that
RT_PREEMPT only recently started to work on PowerPC kernels.  So be
prepared for problems for which we cannot give any support.  Please use
the relevant mailing lists for questions.

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xenomai-solo.git;a=blob;f=README
[2] http://www.osadl.org/Realtime-Preempt-Kernel.kernel-rt.0.html

--
Woman who seek to be equal with men lack ambition
                       -- Timothy Leary