[ELDK] BDI-2000 debugging

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed May 21 01:11:47 CEST 2008

Markus,

Thanks for your help.

> > Breakpoint 1, 0xc0002004 in start_here ()
>
> The MMU is running here already, so where is it that you
> say debugging is working?

It will step through with line numbers, etc. when I use s
instead of si.

(gdb) b start_kernel
Breakpoint 1 at 0xc02007f4: file init/main.c, line 513.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 1, start_kernel () at init/main.c:513
513		smp_setup_processor_id();
(gdb) s
start_kernel () at init/main.c:513
513		smp_setup_processor_id();
Cannot access memory at address 0xc02007f4
(gdb) s
start_kernel () at init/main.c:513
513		smp_setup_processor_id();
Cannot access memory at address 0xc02007f4
(gdb) s

As you pointed out, the MMU is on here. The point it stops
working is when it sets the abatron pointers. I commented
out a line in head_8xx.S

	/* set up the PTE pointers for the Abatron bdiGDB.
	*/
	tovirt(r6,r6)
	lis	r5, abatron_pteptrs at h
	ori	r5, r5, abatron_pteptrs at l
//	stw	r5, 0xf0(r0)	/* Must match your Abatron config file
*/
	tophys(r5,r5)
	stw	r6, 0(r5)

Now it allows me to step through the kernel. I'm confused
about what this is supposed to do.

Anthony