[ELDK] FW: help

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 19 21:02:55 CET 2008

Dear =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ana_Cl=E1udia?=,

In message <52981DB05D3C5247A12D0AEE309F3CC23B5D823314 at INOAVREX11.ptin.corpPT.com> you wrote:

> I need your help to get the value of boot environment in kernel space.
> I add a new environment on boot. The name of this environment is "serialnumber".

Do you by any chance mean "serial#" instead? This is the standard name
at least.

> I can read this environments on boot , using the command "printenv".
> serialnumber=AABBCCDD00000000

Why do you reinvent the wheel? Why don't you use the already existing
(and well protected!) variables that are intended for this purpose?

> What I need is to read this value on my kernel module.

There are two easy and straightforward ways to do so:

1) Pass the data as part of the kernel command line, i. e. add
   something like

	setenv bootargs ${bootargs} serial#=${serial#}

   to your boot command sequence. In your kenrel module you can then
   read the settings from the kernel's command line.

2) Use the fw_printenv command in Linux user space to extract the
   settings and pass it as module parameters when insmod'ing your
   kernel module.

> I try to create a new function on kernel (a compile and test several image

Don't write new code. Use what already exists.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and You can fool all
of the people some of the time, but You can't fool mom.