[ELDK] OpenJDK and Other Questions

James Black jblack547 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 18:03:49 CEST 2008

Dear Gentlemen,

IMHO, embedded powerpc linux development would not be where it is
today without Mr. Denk's cohesive efforts and willingness to support
u-boot and open source tools.

The ELDK is the place where many, who cannot afford the large fees
from Montavista and others, start their development experience. Many
commercial products are created with the tools provided in the ELDK.
I've had my eye on the development of u-boot and the toolset since my
first encounter in 2004. In the last year, the effort being exerted by
Freescale, AMCC and MonteVista is testament to how important these
tools are for these chip vendors to their marketing strategy. Prior to
that, all that was available was expensive proprietary toolsets and
bootloaders for powerpc-realtime applications.

I feel that u-boot and embedded linux is just starting to come into
its own. The unembedded linux community is starting to recognize that
the embedded community is growing and needs encouragement to grasp the
nature of open source development. Check www.lwn.net for rumblings on
this topic.  A realtime embedd linux conference with some heavy
hitters attending and speaking. http://www.mvista.com/vision/

In the last 4 years things have begun to change in the USA. I know by
experience that the community inside and outside the USA is quite
large, albeit anonymous. The company I work for now uses embedded
linux as an employment incentive to attract developers. The whole
embedded linux thing provides a rapid development cycle using
developers not necessarily cognizant about realtime applications and
resource limited hardware. Liek Jon Corbet says" It just works"

Good Luck,

Jim Black