[ELDK] cross compiling tshark for powerpc440

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 13:05:55 CET 2009

Dear Haitham Al-Saif,

In message <e1dfadff0902240049u6d52bb79wdcc751452aa87dfa at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'am trying to cross compile tshark for a powerpc 440 on a virtex-5 FXT
> board using eldk 4.1 which is installed under fedora 5. I have downloaded
> the source codes of wireshark and tried to configure it for the target. but
> I'am  pretty much new to linux and cross compiling and therefore I tried to
> find some information about these topics.but I can not find information

Did you read the manual that comes with the ELDK (aka DULG) ?  If yes,
then why didn't you follow the instructions?

> about how to corss compile a program like wirehsark. I have cross compiled
> helloworld using eldk and got *a.out * binary file for powerpc
>
> export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx-
> export PATH=$PATH:/opt/eldk/bin:/opt/eldk/usr/bin/
> powerpc-linux-gcc helloworld.c

You are supposed to use ppc_4xx-gcc, not powerpc-linux-gcc.

> after I scussfully cross compiled helloworld I tried to cross compile
> wireshark.
>
> ./configure --target=powerpc-linux-gcc  --disable-wireshark
> --disable-editcap --disable-capinfos --disable-mergecap --disable-text2pcap
> --disable-idl2wrs --disable-dftest --disable-randpkt --disable-rawshark

This is not the procedure we recommend for recompiling target
packages, which you should use as a starting point for adding new
packages, too.

> but I get the following error *configure: error: I couldn't find yacc (or
> bison or ...); make sure it's installed and in your path*.

This is a problem with the Linux distribution on your development
host. Ther eis nothing the ELDK can do to help here. Please install
the required development tools for your Linux distribution.

> I tried to install bison but still have the same problem.  is there other
> libraries that I have to cross compile in order to get tshark runing on
> powerpc?

This has nothing to do (yet) with cross development, it's the native
tools that are missing.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Save yourself!  Reboot in 5 seconds!