[ELDK] Rebuilding the crosstool rpm on SL5

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 6 16:18:27 CET 2009

Dear Miroslaw,

In message <1B4F8000449511488D1A640DD6DECA35029130D2 at MAILBOX0A.psi.ch> you wrote:

> I have the Scientific Linux 5 (SL5) distribution based system on my PC. I wanted to rebuild the crosstools source RPM (which is part of ELDK 4.2) on my host SL5 for ppc_4xx and ppc_4xxFP target architectures.

May I ask why you want to do this? If it works, the result should be
the same as thebinaries included with the ELDK release...

> To do so I have dowloaded the the crosstool-0.43-1.src.rpm from:
> http://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/4.2/ppc-linux-x86/sources/SRPMS/crosstool-0.43-1.src.rpm

OK.

> Next I have read the documentation about rebuilding the rpm sources. I understood that to rebuild the rpm package like
> crosstool-0.43-1.src.rpm from sources I need first to install the whole ELDK 4.2 and use commands like ppc_4xx-rpmbuild ?

Yes.

> I have tried however to use native SL5 rpm and rpmbuild programs.

This is bound to fail. Please proceed exactly as documented.

> I however do not see crosscompiled libraries (shared libraries) for ppc_4xx or/and ppc_4xxFP?

Libraries is another issue.

> I will be very much grateful for help on that subject.

Maybe it would help if you explained what exactly you are trying to
acchieve. Just rebuilding is probably not your only intention?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
: 1.  What is the possibility of this being added in the future?
In the near future, the probability is close to zero. In the  distant
future, I'll be dead, and posterity can do whatever they like... :-)
                                                              - lwall