[ELDK] Problems in kernel init while using busybox on ELDK 4.2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 27 11:55:20 CEST 2009

Dear Diptopal Basu,

In message <bd97640b0905270244i6c85d4a1v994ba0acc129415 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I linked busybox statically because I use "mklibs to generate dynamic shared
> libs in /lib...and I wanted to remove mklibs from "possible cause of error".

I have no idea what "mklibs" might be, but you are actually
introducing more sources of errors here.

>    The kernel works fine if compiled with ELDK 4.1 . I am attaching a

And what does this working kernel, compiled with ELDK 4.1, do when you
boot it with the ramdisk image with your  busybox 1.13.4 compiled with
ELDK 4.2 and linked statically?

> snapshot of the kernel panic here . I am suspecting that its a busybox

Argh... Why don't you use a serial console so you can just copy &
paste the text? Sending a screen shot is *strongly* discouraged and
usually useless.

> problem because the init is handled by busybox  and that's where the kernel
> is crashing .
>
> I will be providing you with more details .

You should test your ramdisk image in a working envrionment first,
like with root file system mounted over NFS. Then mount the ramdisk
image, and try if you can "chroot" into it. This is much easier to
debug.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
To be awake is to be alive.        - Henry David Thoreau, in "Walden"