[ELDK] Root File System Builder Issues

Jonathan Haws Jonathan.Haws at sdl.usu.edu
Tue Sep 8 22:14:42 CEST 2009

> > I still have not been able to resolve the warnings when building,
> but I have come up against another, more problematic issue.
> >
> > The RAMdisk image produces by the RFSB tool will not boot if I
> include too many packages.  Here is the output:
>
> This is most probably due to the fact that your ramdisk is bigger
> than the maximum size supported by the kernel.
>
> Unfortunately you don't give us any details how big your
> uncompressed
> ramdisk really is, not even the U-Boot messages where we couldat
> least
> see the compressed size.

Sorry, I did not think to include those - they are useful.

> > Freeing unused kernel memory: 144k init
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > ram0: rw=0, want=168212, limit=16384
> > (... 100 more identical messages ...)
>
> That's obvious, isn't it?

Yeah, I guess it is. :)

> > Here are my current kernel settings, pertaining to RAMdisks:
> >
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT = 1
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE = 65536
>
> Is there any chance your uncompressed ramdisk is bigger than that?

No, I checked the uncompressed size to make sure of that and it is
only 6 - 7 MB.

I believe I have found my problem though - I was loading the
compressed RAMDisk image to address 0x600000 in U-Boot.  However,
when I uncompressed the image, it would overwrite itself, resulting
in the funky errors I was seeing.  I changed the addresses to which
I load in U-Boot and everything boots just fine and I have an image
that is a manageable size.

I am still puzzled about the warnings I am seeing about the Xenomai
libraries.  Any ideas on that?

Thanks for the help!

Jonathan