[ELDK] Another BogoMIPS question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 9 14:25:41 CEST 2009

Dear "Gao Ya'nan",

In message <d15e5cf90909081526r4f4becdcj349408c6df648792 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > And what is your question?
>
> By the FAQ, I should get about 50 BogoMIPS when MPC875 runs on 50MHZ,
> But now I get only 6 BogoMIPS. It's very strange.

I don't have any 8xx systems running 2.6 Linux here; but the 875 is
definitely different from the, say, 860.

> And I search something from
> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2008-November/031770.html,
> and there is a result that the BogoMIPS value depends on the
> decrementer frequency and is nonsense.

Of course it's true. The "Bogo" part in the "BogoMIPS" name has a good
reason - it tries to make absolutley clear that this is a bogus value,
a meaningless indication of processor speed.

What I don't understand yet is - why do you care about that number?
It's just a few bits without any impact on any application code?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.