[ELDK] [DNX#2009093042159] Question for eth0: pause enabled with Canyonlands Board

DENX Support System support at denx.de
Wed Sep 30 12:17:43 CEST 2009

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your request.

You wrote:

> I just got this new Canyonlands board and cannot make the network
> working with my normal LAN setup.  I have narrowed down the cause (I
> hope) to "eth0: pause enabled".
>
> Can someone there explain to me why?

Are you sure you have valid MAC addresses set for your board?

Can you please send me a full log including all console messages from
power-on (i. e. the full U-Boot startup including all commands you
enter to boot linux [please also include the output of the "printenv"
command for your board], followed by the complete log of all Linux
kernel boot messages).

> I suppose the ethernet "pause" a good feature.  But some device in my
> LAN setup must have messed up this good feature with Canoynlands,
> since the exact LAN setup has been working correctly with other boards
> like Makalu, Kealauea, and Marvel boards.
>
> Other interesting observatin is that if I use a older switch in the
> setup, Canyonlands will not show "pause enabled" and the network is
> working correctly.

What is the exact difference between these two switches - are these
10/100 or 10/100/1000? Are these "dumb" or managed switches? Which
sort of link status do they show - link speed, FD or HD? What are the
exact models?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Gods don't like people not doing much work. People  who  aren't  busy
all the time might start to _think_.  - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_