[ELDK] Selecting and compiling modules

Pitch Klein pitchklein at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:06:38 CET 2010

Hello,
I'm new to this list, and have been playing with the ELDK on a Canyonlands
board for a relative short time. I'm also not quie proficient when it comes
to knowledge of the linux architecture, nor the use of it's many
functionalities, so, please, forgive me if I say something that looks
obviously wrong.

I've been able to compile and download an image of the last kernel that you
provide, and boot it from the board, with the root filesystem located in my
host PC.

I want to try a specific driver that I thought was included in the kernel,
but when I try to prove the corresponding module... it just isn't there. So
I checked /lib/modules in my corresponding eldk installation folder to see
if it was there. I see it is not. there ar two folders, that finally contain
only some iscsi related .ko files. So I guessed I had to use the cross
compiler in the eldk to compile my module, add it to that folder, and try
modprobe from the board.

It happens that typing "make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=4xxFP- " on the
module source folder wouldn'r work. There is a makefile there, but whenever
I try I get the message: "no rule to build object XXXXX"

I then checked again the DULG documentation and saw that there's a line that
reads:
"...In case you configured modules you will also need to compile the modules
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=4xxFP- modules
and install the modules..."

I do that, but it seems only some modules are compiled, not all, and
definitely not the one that I need.

I wonder then what "configured modules" mean.,. so* here's my question*:

*Is there a way so I can select a module from the kernel to be compiled with
the cross compile tool????? If so, how??*
*
*
Thank you,

Pitch Klein