[ELDK] selection between UBIFS/JFFS3 and YAFFS2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Dec 26 23:03:50 CET 2010

Dear "ZHOU Zhongjun",

In message <EF949E0CEB6551499A3643069FE41ACB034B70D1 at CNSHGSMBS01.ad4.ad.alcatel.com> you wrote:

> We want to deveplop an equipment with UBIFS/JFFS3 or YAFFS2 file system.
>

> But, Would anyone give me some advices which FS is good for
> telecom-quipment? Which is better between UBIFS/JFFS3 and YAFFS2?  Or
> any benchmark statistics between UBIFS/JFFS3 and YAFFS2?

You ask the wrong question, or rather you don't provide the
information that is needed to give a helpful answer.

The most important information which you do not provide is: which type
of storage devices are we talking about?  The answer will vary very
much depending if we are talking about storing data on a hard disk,
versus a solid state disk, or SDCard os USB Mass Storage Devices and
the like, or raw NAND flash, or NOR flash, or...

The second most important information is: what is your use case?  Is
this a mostly read-only file system?  Or are you running a database
type application? Or writing large log files sequentially, probably
always appending just small chunks like a few lines of text?

There is no general good answer to your question - you need to analyze
the fine details, and then evaluate the properties of the specific
file systems.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Systems programmers are the high priests of a low cult.
                                                       -- R.S. Barton