[ELDK] ppc_6xx link segmentation fault
wd at denx.de
Mon Jan 4 22:02:56 CET 2010
Dear Gabriel Johnson,
In message <bb6204721001040929u3772baaajd362c70bf8cc4ee4 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone had a chance to try and build Qt 4.6.0 with
> ELDK 4.2 for powerpc?
Well, I tried this, and was able to confirm the problem - but then,
I have no good solution how to fix it.
> I am thinking about trying to rebuild the gcc package with the latest
> version of gcc and see if that fixes my issue. Should I be able to
> just build the latest gcc or do I need to rebuild the ELDK?
Rebuilding GCC or using a more recent version of GCC will not help. It
is not a GCC problem, but instead an issue with the linker, or
eventually with the way how Qt (mis-) uses it. So if you want to try
something, you would have to use a more recent version of the binutils
> >>> same issue. I believe the linker is what is segfaulting, the output
> >>> from the linker is the following:
> >>> powerpc-linux-g++ -Wl,-rpath-link,/opt/trolltech/qte-4.6.0-powerpc/lib
> >>> -fno-exceptions -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-O1 -shared
> >>> -Wl,-soname,libQtWebKit.so.4 -o libQtWebKit.so.4.6.0 <MANY OBJECT
> >>> FILES> -L/opt/trolltech/qte-4.6.0-powerpc/lib -L/opt/eldk/ppc_6xx/lib
> >>> -L/opt/eldk/ppc_6xx/usr/lib -lQtGui
> >>> -L/opt/trolltech/qte-4.6.0-powerpc/lib -L/opt/eldk/ppc_6xx/lib
> >>> -L/opt/eldk/ppc_6xx/usr/lib -lQtNetwork -lQtCore -lgthread-2.0
> >>> -ldbus-1 -lpthread
> >> Thi sis not the output, but just (a fragment of) the command you were
> >> running. Why don't you supply the real, complete output?
> > Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by the "real, complete output"
> > this is the last command executed before the Segmentation fault. I
> > have omitted the list of object files in the call because if I include
> > them the email is too long for the mailing list. Can you explain what
This is where we should wonder if this is normal - a sinle command
line too long to be included in an email message?
I confirm that the command line is extreme - IIRC it was way over 50kB
big. By splitting the single link command (for example, by collecting
the single onbject files in question into an "ar" archive, and then
linking gainst this "library") we can work around the problem.
I have to admit that even if never versions of the binutils should
work, or if a fix was available for the binutils version we use, I
still would like to question if what Qt is doing here makes sense. In
my opinion, it does not. So I tend to see the real fix in a change to
the Qt Makefiles.
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Like winter snow on summer lawn, time past is time gone.
More information about the eldk