[ELDK] umount on jffs2 file system some times hangs

Yigal Goldberger yigal_gold at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 09:49:30 CET 2010

Hi All,
My system is a powerpc based board .(freescale QUICC2) .
My kernel is 2.6.29.4 with Xenomai - 2.4.8 .
To Update my firmware I perform the following operations :

busybox mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock8 /mnt/mtd -o sync
busybox tar -zxvf /mnt/temp/xxx.tar.gz -C /mnt/mtd/ >/dev/null 2>&1
busybox umount /mnt/mtd

The problem is with the last command - it sometimes hangs (never returns) .
I think it only happens the very first time the umount is run on the jffs2 file system , and works fine after this virgin umount operation .
My coleague thinks this might be related to the fact that the jffs2 file was created without the padding option .

Ideas would be most welcome .
Yigal Goldberger.