[ELDK] umount on jffs2 file system some times hangs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 26 13:37:51 CET 2010

Dear Yigal Goldberger,

In message <582964.65537.qm at web38908.mail.mud.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to answer so quickly .
> I'm using S29GL256N and Am29LV256M (not on the same board) .
>
> 1. You're right , I think it does return after a few minutes .
>    But successive umounts return quickly.

This means that the JFFS2 garbage collector thread has to complete
"formatting" of the file system partition.

> 2. According to our HW guy , it's a NOR flash .
>    The partition is 30MB , but the file system only occupies ~7.5MB .

Yes, initializing such a big partition may take some time.

> 3. ps (my ps doesn't support these options) shows :

> 993   root        3868  D     umount /mnt/mtd/
> 1003  root        4172  R     ps

You should see the jffs2-gc thread running.

Can you pre-initialize the whole file system area (by installing a
properly formatted file system image that matches the full size) ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
To be is to program.