[ELDK] eldk arm qemu hello world

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 22 00:25:16 CEST 2010

Dear Johan,

In message <4C4764AB.10808 at fun-tech.se> you wrote:

> I'm trying to follow the basic step to get a simple hello world to
> compile and run in qemu (arm).
> armVFP-gcc -static test.c -o test
> echo test | cpio -o --format=newc > rootfs

Well, this is NOT a usable root file system. First, static linking
with glibc is not excactly doing what you might think it does; second,
the kernel tries to start "init", not "test"; third, user space
applications expect a certain environment like stnadar input and
output channels connected to devices, and all the other things a real
init process will do for them.

Why don't you use the ramdisk image that comes with the ELDK?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while  sweeping  on
to the grand fallacy.