[ELDK] [RFSB] permission denied problem when adding dropbear key files to custom section

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue May 18 18:25:31 CEST 2010

Hi Martin,

> I tried to add some rsa/dss keys for dropbear to the custom/rootfs folder
> and get an "permission denied" error when building the root file system image,
> because the key files are only readable by root:
>
> mkr at dbps-sw-910:~/git/rfsb$ make
> Current target list is  /home/mkr/git/rfsb/build/images/image.ext2 /home/mkr/git/rfsb/build/images/uRamdisk
> Copying files from custom/rootfs
> cpio: ./etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key: Cannot open: Permission denied
> cpio: ./etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_key: Cannot open: Permission denied
> 1 block
> make: *** [status/stamp.custom-copy] Error 2
> mkr at dbps-sw-910:~/git/rfsb$

Yes, I'm well aware of this problem as other people alreday reported
similar problems.

Unfortunately "the right thing" to do would be to set the file
attributes in the filesystem creation process itself (i.e. in
mkfs.<filesystem>) independent of the attributes in the staging
directory.

As this is not even supported in the tools we use, currently I can only
suggest either to run rfsb with superuser rights, or to open the file
permissions at least for reading for the user running rfsb.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
To summarize:  It is a well known and lamented fact  that those people who
most want to  rule people are,  ipso facto, those  least suited  to do it.