[ELDK] Building U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 9 00:02:03 CET 2010

Dear "Nate Jozwiak",

In message <001401cb7f6e$e55f4fb0$b01def10$@biz> you wrote:

> I am having an issue debugging U-Boot so I decided to try and go back and
> rebuild it from the start to verify it was built correctly. I have an AMCC
> Taishan eval board. It is a PPC-440GX. Following the instructions in the
> U-Boot documentation doesn't seem to be correct.

The documentation *is* correct. You just have to go through it step by
step. Don't omit important things...

> $ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/u-boot-1.2.0.tar.bz2
> But I get the following error:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `taishan_config'.  Stop.

Well, yes. You download a more than 3 year old version of U-Boot. I
don't think the Taishan board was even available to normal customers
by then.

> So I pull up the Makefile in the root directory and sure enough, there is no
> rule for a taishan_config. So I downloaded the latest version of U-Boot
> (2010.09) and tried with that.
> make: ppc_8xx-gcc: Command not found

Well, you forgot to install and/or configure the cross tool chain
(ELDK). Please go back to section 3. Embedded Linux Development Kit
and install the ELDK.

> I wasn't sure why it was trying to build with ppc_8xx-gcc, but I thought I

It seems you failed to read about the need to set environment
variables like CROSS_COMPILE and PATH.

> got lucky with the new version at least having a taishan config. So I open
> up the Makefile in the root directory and again... there is also no rule for
> taishan_config. The Makefile doesn't even contain the text, "taishan".
> However, there is a taishan folder under ../u-boot-2010.09/board/amcc.

Board configuration has been moved out of Makefile into boards.cfg

> So my question is: how do I configure and build U-Boot for the AMCC Taishan
> board? It appears to be trying to build with ppc-8xx which is not correct.
> It needs to be pcc-4xx. What am I missing?

You did not follow the instructions in the documentation. Set
CROSS_COMPILE correctly, and retry.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is the  most  likely
to be correct.                                    -- William of Occam