[ELDK] Linux porting to MPC8548E

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Nov 12 14:55:52 CET 2010

Hi pradeepa,

> I am new to Linux porting. My interest is to port General Linux into
> MPC8548E custom board.

Welcome!

> I have the following queries:
>
> 1) In latest linux sources you will find two folders in linux/arch path.
> One is powerpc and
> other is ppc. How I will find whether I have to change powerpc or ppc
> folder?

What sources for "latest linux" are you looking at?  The sources I have
available only contain "powerpc" and that's how it should be ;)
Moreover you should first try to reuse as much as possible before
"changing" anything.

> 3) Is there any common procedure to be followed when porting for a new
> custom board or
> to a new architecture?
> Can anybody please tell me the procedures I should follow.

For such a well-known power CPU, you should take a look at the device
trees contained in arch/powerpc/boot/dts and find one as close to
your hardware as possible.  Maybe mpc8548cds[1]?  Then work from there
to the outside.

Also as this is a general Linux question not related to ELDK, you should
use the offical powerpc mailing list[2].

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://git.denx.de/?p=linux-2.6-denx.git;a=blob;f=arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8548cds.dts
I like having a machine called 'elvis' on the network because that way,
I can say 'ping elvis' and have it come back with 'elvis is alive'.
                                                     -- Carl Shipley