[ELDK] Pruning Filesystem

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Oct 5 17:42:22 CEST 2010

Hi John,

> My project based on the eldk requires a much smaller footprint than we
> currently have.  I'm going through the process of hand-removing many
> packages (*-devel, etc), but it appears that the end-goal of 60mb
> (confined by on-board flash space limitations of 64MB) is unattainable

It is pretty uncommon in order to build a bicycle, by starting off with
another wheel-vehicle, say a truck, and then to strip away the unneeded
pieces.

With the ELDK this is just the same, use the other direction, i.e. start
with a minimal system and extend it as neccessary.  An especially nice
starting point is our Root File System Builder which starts off with
only a few megabytes[1].

> due to the huge package (~270MB):
>
>   277036416 bits crosstool-targetcomponents-ppc_4xx
>
> Any pointers?  Is 60MB attainable?

Depending on your application and the service you use out of ELDK, this
should still be easy.

> Has anyone successfully pruned away the ELDK in this fashion?

I doubt it.

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://git.denx.de/?p=rfsb.git;a=summary

--
Programming X-Windows is like trying to find the square root of pi
using roman numerals.