[ELDK] eldk5.0 generate illegal instruction for at91rm9200

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jul 16 10:50:18 CEST 2011

Dear zzs,

let's continue this discussion here on the ELDK mailing list where it
actually belongs.

In message <20110716080555.GA17211 at greatfirst.com> you wrote:

> > Thanks again for the feedback.  I have documented this issue in the
> > ELDK FAQ section:
> >
> > http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/QuestionsAndAnswers#GCC_generates_illegal_opcodes_fo
> >
> Yes. When using "USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes make my_board_name". It works
> well. And the kernel works fine too because linux kernel has private libgcc
> code too.
>
> But when I examine the *.so files in eldk5.0, Almost all of them has
> 'clz' opcode. So if I use them in my aplication like busybox. It will
> crash.

Indeed, this is to be expected.  As mentioned, the armv5te version of
the ELDK is configured for the ARMv5TE architecture, so using it for
a processor that belongs to another, less capable architecture
(ARMv4T), will cause problems.

> So I think the best way is to rebuild eldk5.0 for armv4. Did you tell

Yes, this will indeed be the best way.

> me how to configure eldk5.0 to build for armv4. And why eldk5.0 hasn't
> a release for armv4, Is armv4 too old and has no value to support it?

Our work is mostly customer driven.  ELDK support for different
architectures and orther features get added when:

- we nee dit ourself
- some customer pays us for the efforts
- some people use the "Donate" button on and let us know which
  features they are interested in; see http://www.denx.de/wiki/ELDK-5
- the community adds new stuff and cotributes it back

ARMv4 support is indeed not on our list of priorities at the moment -
we don't see any recent projects that use such old processors any
more, and consequently none of our customers asked for such support
(yet).

It would be really great if you could add support for ARMv4 - we will
be happy to integrate your patches.

Documentation how to set up therepository and how to configure and
build the ELDK is in our wiki, see
http://www.denx.de/wiki/ELDK-5/GitRepositorySetup
http://www.denx.de/wiki/ELDK-5/EldkBuilding

As for setting up a new configuration, you will want to read the
documentation for the Poky platform builder, see
http://www.pokylinux.org/

Hope this helps.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When the tide of life turns against you
And the current upsets your boat
Don't waste tears on what might have been
Just lie on your back and float.