[ELDK] how to compile linux kernel in eldk-5.0?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 18 09:30:56 CET 2011

Dear wolfking,

In message <SNT125-W18A527E2D0ED6C4DDF61BCDEC40 at phx.gbl> you wrote:

>   I'm compiling linux kernel for powerpc in eldk-5.0, the following is the steps I took:

If you like you can try the latest beta version of ELDK 5.1; see
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.1-beta/targets/powerpc/

>   3. according to the FAQ about eldk-5.0, I modified some Makefile under the kernel tree, change
>       the -Os to -O2. I am not sure whether it is right to do this, can anyone tell me how to modify the compile flags?

This is no longer needed in ELDK 5.1; the GCC bug that prevented the
use of -Os has been fixed.

>   HOSTCC  arch/powerpc/boot/hack-coff
>   HOSTCC  arch/powerpc/boot/mktree
>   WRAP    arch/powerpc/boot/uImage
> "mkimage" command not found - U-Boot images will not be built

You did not install the "mkimage" command (which comes as part of
U-Boot) anywhere in your PATH.

Again, you can try the ELDK 5.1 beta, which now includes the "mkimage"
command in the distribution, so it will always be found.

>    It seems that something is wrong with U-boot, but this process is about kernel, why does it report error about U-boot?

The error message says: "U-Boot images will not be built" - without
the (U-Boot specific) "mkimage" command you cannot build the Linux
kernel images in the special format needed for U-Boot.

Short summary: try ELDk 5.1 beta, and _this_ problem should be fixed.

Note however, that the generic-powerpc configuration you are using is
not optimally configured for the MPC8641.  ELDK 5.x does not provide
an optimal configuration for these processors yet.  Please feel free
to contact me if you are interested in having such support added.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe
in God.