[ELDK] about eldk-5.3 installation

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 1 23:02:17 CET 2013

Dear wolfking,

In message <SNT125-W308DAFB31FD9D97D9B9976DE1C0 at phx.gbl> you wrote:

> Hi, all: I install the eldk-5.3 under fedora 9. The ISO file I use is
> eldk-5.3-powerpc-softfloat.iso.

Fedora 9? You mean the release as of  13 May 2008 ?

Well, this is 5 years old by now, and a number of software components
in it are so outdated that they will not work any longer with current
code.  Please use a recent distribution, say something not older than
2 years or so.

> The command I enter is:./install.sh -s qte powerpc-softfloat Then the
> installation begins:
> *** Installing ./targets/powerpc-softfloat/eldk-eglibc-i686
> -powerpc-toolchain-qte-5.3.sh into /opt/eldk-5.3/powerpc-softfloat
> File "/opt/eldk-5.3/powerpc-softfloat/relocate_sdk.py", line 190
> except IOError as ioex: ^SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Can someone tell me why?

Probably the python in your distro is too old...

> Another question is: I also try to install eldk-5.3-powerpc-e500v2.iso.
>
> It displays the similar error. When I go back to the ftp server, I

The similar error is due to the fact that it uses the same code, and
runs into the same issues with your ancient python version.

> found the file "eldk-5.3-powerpc-e500v2.iso" disappeared. Is
> something wrong? Thanks !

As far as I can tell the file is still there, at
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/iso/eldk-5.3-powerpc-e500v2.iso

Could that be some local problem on your side?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Bureaucracy is the enemy of innovation."
       - Mark Shepherd, former President and CEO of Texas Instruments