[ELDK] bitbake of custom ARM kernel to U-Boot uImage not installing properly?

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:50:43 CET 2013

I am using a custom kernel and when building the kernel image using my
own layer the installation phase picks up the wrong image when
installed to ../tmp/deploy/images. The uImage seems to be picked up
from kernel/arch/arm/boot/Image instead of
kernel/arch/arm/boot/uImage? From what I know, is not "Image" just a
stripped down (objcopy) of vmlinux?

I can see why this is happening in recipes-kernel/linux/linux.inc:

do_install_prepend() {
        if test -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/Image ; then
             ln -f arch/${ARCH}/boot/Image arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage
        fi

        if test -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/images/uImage ; then
             ln -f arch/${ARCH}/boot/images/uImage arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage
        fi

        if test -e arch/${ARCH}/kernel/vmlinux.lds ; then
             ln -f arch/${ARCH}/kernel/vmlinux.lds arch/${ARCH}/boot/vmlinux
        fi
}

The first test is what breaks it for me. Since it hits the first
condition a "uImage" is deployed based on the wrong image. I expected
it to pick up the second one.
Why is the "Image" an option for installing as a "uImage"? Is the
"Image" ever really a valid "uImage"? I guess I must have made
something wrong, but I can not understand what. Please advise.

Hans