[ELDK] Fix libtool-cross do_qa_configure error

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Mon Sep 2 09:46:49 CEST 2013

Detlev, et al.,
On Aug 30, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Larry Baker wrote:

> I have succeeded in building a functional gfortran cross compiler.  I have yet to actually run anything on my target.  I'll add an update to confirm everything works.

I tested my application and it runs -- C and Fortran!  After some tweaks to the buffer settings (to allow the system to store more pending work until it could catch up), and allowing a lot more time for the floating-point calculations during my application's startup (~3 minutes on my 400 MHz 64MB no-FPU ARM V5TEJ), I was able to pass the validation test.

Initially I used a USB drive for the rootfs.  The I/O performance was abysmal -- the application wold not run properly.  I have spent most of the past two days converting the JFFS2 rootfs to UBI. I already knew I wanted to do that -- I built my own kernel partially to add UBI support.  The Atmel tools for loading UBI images (.ubi) did not work right, even with the option to enable trimmffs.  I gave up trying to figure out what they did to make Linux unbootable.  (I also did not try to use the UBI support built into U-Boot.)  I ended up creating a minimal Yocto/ELDK with mtd-utils on a USB drive, which I then used to flash the UBI roots (.ubifs) from Linux.

Now I am on to Yocto/ELDK on a BeagleBone Black -- an ARM processor with FPU this time!

One thing I discovered is that when I log off and log back on to do a Yocto/ELDK build, it is not sufficient to cd to the build directory and source set-path.  I had to also run the TEMPLATE=... command from the ELDK documentation, and source set-path.  That should be described somewhere in the documentation, like where it talks about modifying set-path.

Thanks for your help.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608