[ELDK] Denx distribution with x86 support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 3 15:15:56 CEST 2013

Dear Asier,

In message <CAMZj-5PrTYC_-ZEdV0MwXkFU-Cu6UX4XMTawPGiYmUG3dAsE3Q at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'va asked in the Yocto mailing list about a Linux distribution with
> support for the x86 platform, a destop manager and Xenomai in an embedded
> system, and I've been told about Denx.
>
> I see that the Denx distribution has no support for the x86 platform. As my
> project is a medium-term project, do you plant to have support for it? Do
> you recommend me another solution?

It's not exactly correct that our ELDK has no x86 support.  ELDK is
derived from Yocto, resp. it builds on top of it, so we automatically
inherit all features from there, including the x86 support present in
Yocto.

But you are right, so far there is no tested configuration for x86
available that also includes the Xenomai support - at the moment we
have full support for Xenomai only for the ARM and Power architec-
tures.

Adding a generic x86 configuration with Xenomai support to ELDK means
a certain one-time effort (adding and testing the needed recipes),
plus an ongoing effort for each of the following releases (mostly
testing).

We are customer driven, and so far none of our (paying) customers had
need for x86 support.  Therefore we have currently no plans to add
such support.  Would you be willing to cover some of these efforts?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Little known fact about Middle Earth:   The Hobbits had a very sophi-
sticated computer network!   It was a Tolkien Ring...