[ELDK] No uImage in build images directory

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 4 11:58:28 CEST 2013

Dear Larry,

I apologizxe for the late follow-up to this question; I was on
vacation and read this thread only now.

In message <C666D0A2-D23A-419A-B3BC-431A84BCD801 at usgs.gov> you wrote:
> I have built an ELDK rootfs and kernel from git sources using the steps from the Wiki section 3:
>
> > MACHINE=generic-armv5te bitbake core-image-basic
>
> In tmp/deploy/images there is a Linux kernel zImage, but not a uImage.

To understand this, you have to realize that ELDK is a generic
distribution built on top of Yocto.  In Yocto, you always have
configurations for specific machines (read: boards).  In ELDK< you can
do the same, but the nature of the "generic-*" targets is different:
these are NOT for a specific board, but for a whole class of systems
utilizing a certail class of processors or SoCs.  In your case,
"generic-armv5te" attempts to support all ARMv5TE based systems.

Unfortunately, there is no way to configure U-Boot or Linux such that
a single image would run on _all_ ARMv5TE boards.

So which uImage file would you expect?  We cannot build one, as we
don't have any information which board you are using - and if we had,
the next user would need a different uImage as he'll be using another
board.

The existence of the zImage is misleading here - do not expect that
this would work on your actual system.  It is just a by-product of the
build process that is needed elsewhere, but not a kernel image ready
to use.

For testing, you would use the ELDK cross tools to configure and build
a kernel image (and DTB blob) matching your hardware, using either the
included kernel source tree, or any externel sources.

For production, you would add a definition for your own hardware (a
new MACHINE) to the build system, which then includes generation of
the U-Boot and Linux kernel binary images suitable for your board.)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I believe the use of noise to make  music  will  increase  until  we
reach  a  music  produced  through  the aid of electrical instruments
which will make available for musical purposes  any  and  all  sounds
that can be heard."                        - composer John Cage, 1937