[ELDK] No uImage in build images directory

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 4 21:39:04 CEST 2013

Dear Larry,

please do not top post / full quote.  Thanks.

In message <C32181B0-09A2-43C8-9D9F-04D3CEBBB6C2 at usgs.gov> you wrote:

> I found that the zImage was a byproduct of enabling the QEMU tests in my conf file.
> The default kernel image format is supposed to be uImage.  I think enabling a QEMU
> test overrides that to use zImage kernel format.

You cannot just enable qemu support for an arbitrary MACHINE setting -
you must define your own machine, making sure that you include only
such peripheral support (i. e. drivers) for which emulation under qemu
exists.

> When I first set up ELDK, I examined the conf file to see what options were available.
> I found the option to test the build using QEMU.  I liked that idea, so I enabled it.
> When I did the bitbake for generic-armv5te core-image-basic , it failed because there is
> no recipe for the QEMU test.  Even after I removed that choice in my conf file, bitbake
> was still using the previous kernel format and rootfs format settings left over from
> when I had enabled the QEMU testing.  It was only after I completely wiped out all
> the files in my build directory and started over that bitbake made a uImage kernel and
> not a zImage kernel.

When making any significant changes to the configuration, it is
usually best to throw away the whole build tree and restart from
scratch.

> I had a similar experience later (see my conversations with Detlev) when bitbake did
> not pick up one of my modifications and I had to wipe everything out and start over.

Actually this is the most reliable way to make sure you get what you
configured (which may still be different from what you want).

> I cannot always tell when bitbake is using cached configuration data and when it
> will do a rebuild.  When in doubt, I wipe everything out now.

ACK.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The X11 source code style is ATROCIOUS and should not be used  as  a
model."                                                   - Doug Gwyn