[ELDK] No uImage in build images directory

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri Sep 6 05:05:35 CEST 2013

Wolfgang,

Yes.  I was referring to the instructions at http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/EldkBuilding.

> But most users don't need that.  Most of them focus on _using_ the
> ELDK.  Actually this is one of the major reasons of providing the
> ELDK: it allows you to get started and your work done within a couple
> of minutes, without the need to download and build everything from
> scratch.

This was my experience.  I stumbled upon ELDK while looking for a small enough rootfs to fit in
roughly 1/4 to 1/2 of a 256 MB flash.  I experimented with all the pre-built ELDK images until I
found the one I thought was the closest fit for my needs.  I also needed Fortran support, so I had
to jump right in to doing my own custom build.  (Even if I had used my own ARM cross gfortran,
I would have still needed to modify the bitbake recipes to build libgfortran.so for an ARMV5TE target.)
Without your pre-built ELDK images, I would have never gotten here and made the progress I have.

>  If you go for building and making modifications, it is
> highly recommended (read: mandatory) that you also consult the
> respective Yocto documentation.

Which is itself not always adequate.  For example, the bitbake syntax is not documented in
any Yocto manuals, but in an (apparently, quite out-of-date) OE bitbake manual I found.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov