[ELDK] powerpc kernel compile issue

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Thu Jun 5 20:55:52 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I happily used eldk 4.2 since a long time for a MPC5200B (e300 core) based PowerPC board, currently with kernel 3.2.55.  Trying to upgrade to kernel 3.2.59, the same setup throws compile warnings (which  are errors for some files where apparently -Werror is added to the compile flags), e.g.:

<snip>
    CC      init/main.o
In file included from
/usr/local/eldk-4.2/usr/src/linux-3.2.59/arch/powerpc/include/asm/elf.h:5,
                  from include/linux/elf.h:7,
                  from include/linux/module.h:14,
                  from init/main.c:13:
include/linux/sched.h:1693: warning: 'pid_alive' declared inline after being called
include/linux/sched.h:1693: warning: previous declaration of 'pid_alive' was here
</snip>

As the gcc in 4.2 is rather old, I installed eldk 5.1.1 as being documented on the web page, and tried to compile the kernel.  The newer gcc now *does* compile the files which threw errors with 4.2 without warnings or errors, but ejects with a linker error:

<snip>
   CC      init/main.o
   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
   UPD     include/generated/compile.h
   CC      init/version.o
   CC      init/do_mounts.o
   LD      init/mounts.o
powerpc-linux-ld: unrecognized option '-Wl,-O1'
powerpc-linux-ld: use the --help option for usage information
</snip>

As compiling 3.2.55 fails with the same messages, I guess I missed something essential when installing the eldk, but unfortunately I cannot find the reason...  Any enlightenment would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Albrecht.