[ELDK] compiling u-boot/tools/env

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Sun May 17 21:45:11 CEST 2015

Hi Richard,

On 17/05/2015 19:26, K Richard Pixley wrote:
> Yes, the makefile works fine.  But not as advertised.  Instead, it
> builds for the host, not the target.

No, it is not.

> I'm asking about how to build for my /target/.

This is what I showed you:

 file tools/env/fw_printenv
tools/env/fw_printenv: ELF 32-bit MSB  executable, PowerPC or cisco
4500, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for
GNU/Linux 2.6.16,
BuildID[sha1]=594378892413a38849d6ae219b8ca8527e0c50be, stripped

I build for powerpc, fw_printenv is for powerpc (target).

> The eldk toolchain isn't capable of working from CROSS_COMPILE alone.
> It requires setting a number of other variables as well.

No, this is not correct. Please try as I show you and check the result.
It is for target.

>  The current
> build system doesn't appear to be capable of supporting this for tools/env.

Sorry, it is.

> If I'm understanding you, what you're saying here is that
> tools/env/README is in error and that the directory has now lost the
> ability to cross compile and can now /only/ build native.  Is that correct?

No, it is not.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de