[tbot] [DENX] tbot: board hangs if no autoload

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Thu Nov 15 10:23:10 UTC 2018

Hi Heiko, Harald,

On 15/11/18 10:49, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Hello Harald,
>
> Am 15.11.2018 um 10:28 schrieb Harald Seiler:
>> On Thu, 2018-11-15 at 10:23 +0100, Lukasz Majewski wrote:

>>> Is there a way to convert (or directly re-use) Heiko's test cases?
>>
>> Unfortunately not, there is absolutely no compatibility between the two
>> versions ... So it needs a human to do it.
>>
>> I guess, at the moment I am in the best position to do so, I just need
>> input about which testcases have the highest priority to you.
>
> Instead it may makes more sense to discuss what we want to test and
> than how to write the testcases?

Right, let's see.

> Proposal what I have already:
>
> U-Boot
>
> - get sources
> - may apply patches to it
>   list of patches in a directory ?
>   get a list of patches from patchwork todo list?
>
> - install u-boot on the board
> - check if really the new version of u-boot boots

I admit that I am not very interested how to build and to push software
on the board. There are a lot of different paths, and this is not what
the customers ask. They have their own buildserver (Yocto / buildroot /
Jenkins / custom / whatever...) and the process to get and applied
patches is more interesting for a U-Boot maintainer as for a customer.
If we start to convert how to install software on the board, we start
with a lot of single different cases, because this is absolutely board
specific.

My vote goes to start with the more general cases, that is: Software is
on the board, does the board work as expected ? Things like:

- U-Boot:
	- does network work ?
	- does storage work ?
	- do other u-boot peripherals work ?

Such cases - they are unaware of which board is running, and we can at
the early beginning have more general test cases. Same thing for linux,
but of course we can have much more.

> - create a register dump file
>   write register content into a register dump file
> - do register checks
>   open register dump file and check if register content
>   is the same as in the file
> - convert all DUTS testcases
>   http://git.denx.de/?p=duts.git

I do not thing this is a great idea. This "duts" is obsolete and I think
we have now a more generic and better concept with tbot. I think we
should just have a list of test cases and then translate them in
@tbot.testcase, without looking at the past. IMHO duts is quite broken
and we should not care of it, it can just confuse us and it could be a
waste of time.

>   goal, create at the end a u-boot commandline documentation
>
> - call pytest from u-boot?

Do we ?

> - if new u-boot does not boot, switch bootmode and unbreak it

This is also very board specific and it does not always work. I prefer
to start with a more generic approach.

For example, start with testing network in U-Boot. How can I split
between Lab setup and board setup ? Let's say the tftp server. I can set
in the board file a "setenv serverip", but this is broken, because a
board could belong to different Labs (I have a mira here and I have my
own Lab setup). Is there a a way to do this ? Where should I look for
such a cases ?

> Linux:
>
> - get sources
> - may apply patches to it
> - install linux on the board
> - check if booted version is the expected one
> - create a register dump file
>   write register content into a register dump file
> - do register checks

See above. I think this is useful during a porting, but it is less
useful for a customer who wants to test functionalities. I would like to
have first a catalog of testcases with functionalities, like:

	- is network working ?
	- are peripherals working (SPI / I2C /....) ?

In the ideal case, DT is parsed to get a list of testcases...

>   open register dump file and check if register content
>   is the same as in the file
> - look if a list of string are in dmesg output
>
> - look for example at the LTP project, what they test

+1

LTP contains a lot of useful testcases, but of course they are meant to
run as scripts directly on the target / host. Anyway, they have
testcases for a lot of things.

> - check if ptest-runner is in the rootfs and call it

ptest-runner means python. Do we have it on most projects ? Some yes,
some not...

> yocto:
> - get the sources
> - configure
> - bake
> - check if files you are interested in are created
> - install new images
> - boot them
> - check if rootfsversion is correct

See above - IMHO it is better to split between functional tests on
target and build, and to start with the functional tests.

> Goal should be to get generic testcases, which can be configured
> for board specific needs... not always easy.

Regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de