[tbot] How to debug acquire_linux

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Thu Nov 22 22:47:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 22/11/18 19:24, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a board that cannot be got in linux. It looks like that
> tbot.acquire_linux() hangs forever (can I set a tiimeout ?)
>
> I ran a testcase that works fine for another board - I guess that the
> issue is due to the fact that this board has a lot of output in part
> caused by systemd and in part due to kernel messages that are printed to
> the console. When I start the testcase, tbot remains in <board>-linux. I
> can understand that board is up and works because software activates
> some relays, but it is not recognized by tbot.
>
> The weird thing is that "interactive_linux" works. How can I debug this
> ? Or do we have to block kernel messages to the console via kernel
> parameter ?

I have some more details. The not working board has "bash" as shell and
TERM is set to "xterm". Running tbot with -vvv, after "root" as user,
the bord answers with some terminal control characters. It looks like
that tbot gets confused. If I replace "bash" with "busybox", it works.

The second not working case seems if the board prints some data on the
console after the login propt is sent. This is the case when a daemon
has the stdout set to the console. Also in this case, it seems that tbot
gets confused.

Bye,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de